Monday, December 12, 2011

Harvest Monday: potatoes, rhubarb and angelica

Like the author of Daphne's Dandelions, Suburban Tomato and the Urban Vegie Gardener Blog I will be recording my harvests on a Monday. It was only when I was writing this post that I realised I could harvest some of what was in my garden. Potatoes. I harvested some more potatoes and my first tiny little zucchini as well as some baby carrots this weekend. No photos though as I didn't think of it before we had eaten our harvest.
What I could still harvest in the next day or so is some iceberg lettuce, some other lettuce leaves, more carrots and zucchinis and more potatoes. I could also harvest the angelica and use it in this recipe along with my rhubarb.
I have been having lemon verbena tea which is delicious and some white alpine strawberries and a few raspberries.
Altogether quite delicious although none of it is enough yet (except the lemon verbena tea, the angelica and the rhubarb).

3 comments:

  1. What is angelica, if I may ask?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mil, angelica is a herb that grows quite large, with large leaves and an aromatic scent. The stems can be harvested to candy them to use as decorations on cakes along with candied violets. It is a relative of parsley and coriander but much bigger. http://www.culinate.com/mix/dinner_guest/how_to_candy_angelica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link! I'm interested in your iceberg lettuce - I keep trying to grow them but with little success - they just don't seem to head properly for me. Where do you source your seed/seedlings?

    ReplyDelete

Sitemeter